Striped AKA Dotted Tail Kribensis Cichlid (Pelvicachromis taeniatus)
$ 8.95 $ 16.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Striped Kribensis is an exceptionally hardy, peaceful, and colorful "krib" species. Even males are very colorful!
The Striped Kribensis Cichlid (Pelvicachromis taeniatus), also known as the Dotted Tail Kribensis, is a somewhat less common Kribensis species that hails from Nigeria and Cameroon. It is a riverine African species that enjoys water conditions similar to New World (South and Central American) species. It is remarkably peaceful and can possibly even be kept in a community setting in an aquarium of adequate space.
The Striped Kribensis Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It typically will not eat ornamental plants, but it may do a fair amount of digging, so plants that attach to driftwood and rockwork are recommended. As mentioned before, this cichlid is exceptionally peaceful compared to many of its relatives, so it is often compatible with other peaceful and semi-aggressive fish too large to be considered prey. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Striped Kribensis Cichlid. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether unless the aquarium is of considerable size with ample cover/decor.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Striped Kribensis Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration, so this species should not be fed dry foods exclusively.
We are currently offering subadult and adult specimens of this magnificent fish.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful multicolored specimens, both males and females
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 79° F (22° - 26° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0
- KH: 0 - 10 KH
- Minimum tank size: 20+ gallons for a pair.
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Some vegetable matter is also necessary.
- Social behavior: Loosely social until sexual maturity. Breeding pairs are often aggressive to all other similar fish.
- Origin: Nigeria, Cameroon
- Average adult size: Males up to 3.2 inches (8 cm), Females up to 2.4 inches (6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 - 2+ inches (3.8 - 5+ cm)