Serpae AKA Red Minor Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) - TANK-RAISED!!!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This lovely, peaceful schooling fish is a classic in the planted and community aquarium!
The Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques), also known as the Red Minor Tetra, is a classic beauty in the freshwater aquarium hobby due to its beautiful coloration and peaceful disposition. This schooling fish can be the highlight in any peaceful community aquarium and it is a particular standout in the planted aquarium.
The Serpae Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. This tetra has a small mouth, but it still might prey on small adult shrimp. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Serpae Tetra must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since it is tank-raised, this fish is somewhat adaptable, but its natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. It requires very clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium, especially where floating plants are present.
While not a picky eater, the Serpae Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of omnivorous foods. High-quality flakes, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried foods will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful coloration and finnage
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 82.4° F (20° - 28° C)
- pH: 5.0 - 7.5, acidic water is preferred
- KH: 3 - 12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to South America
- Average Adult Size: 1.6 - 1.8 inches (4-4.5 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 - 1 inch (2.5 cm)