Pundamilia nyererei Cichlid (FKA Haplochromis nyererei), Tank-Bred!
$ 4.95 $ 9.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This Lake Victoria native is an extraordinarily colorful African cichlid, with adult males displaying a rainbow of bold colors!
The Pundamilia nyererei Cichlid (Pundamilia nyererei, formerly Haplochromis nyererei) is a very popular African Cichlid species that is native to Lake Victoria and several surrounding areas. It has multiple wild populations that are generally isolated from one another, and many of these populations display color variations that are unique to each single population. Many of these natural variants have been collected and preserved by breeders in the aquarium hobby. As with many cichlids, mature and dominant males of the Pundamilia nyererei Cichlid are the most colorful, although females often display a lesser, but noticeable coloration, particularly on their fins.
The Pundamilia nyererei Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with alkaline pH and a great deal of rock formations. It might destroy some ornamental plants, but more durable plants such as Anubias might be compatible. It requires a great deal of open swimming space, but it also requires ample cover, especially when kept in groups. Dominant males are relentless in establishing their dominance and will harass subdominant males and females to death if there is not ample cover and broken lines of sight for smaller and weaker specimens. It is highly recommended that this fish is kept in a ratio of at least 3 females to every male as adults. The best method for maintaining a group of this magnificent fish is to buy several juveniles and let them grow up together.
The Pundamilia nyererei Cichlid is a rather aggressive fish, but it is compatible with many mbuna cichlids from Lake Victoria. Most aquarists experienced with African cichlids warn against the many potential failures to be had in mixing African cichlids from different lakes as well as with neotropical (South and Central American) cichlids. The Pundamilia nyererei Cichlid should not be housed with ornamental invertebrates.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Pundamilia nyererei Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Supplemental vegetable matter is also required. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are offering juvenile, unsexed specimens of this magnificent fish. Our current stock of this species was sent to us by mistake, so we are unsure of the locality type and our extra low pricing reflects that fact. These young specimens are already behinning to develop excellent coloration, which will no doubt intensify dramatically as they mature!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful multi-coloration across the entire body in mature males
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 73.4° - 80.6 (23° - 27° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.5
- KH: 5 - 18 KH
- Minimum tank size: 75 gallons for a pair or small group
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Some vegetable matter is also required.
- Social behavior: Loosely social until sexual maturity. Breeding pairs are often aggressive to all other similar fish. Dominant males are aggressive to all other fish and should be kept with multiple females.
- Origin: Lake Victoria, Africa
- Average adult size: 3 - 5 inches (7.5 - 12.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1+ inch (2.5+ cm)