C125 Aspidoras Dwarf Catfish (Aspidoras spilotus), TANK-BRED!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Aspidoras Dwarf Catfish is not commonly seen in the hobby, but it is a lovely, peaceful fish for the nano and planted aquarium!
The C125 Aspidoras Dwarf Catfish (Aspidoras spilotus) is a small species from Northeaster Brazil and a close relative to the Corydoras catfish family. It has colorful markings and attains only a very small size, so it is a superb candidate for the nano and planted aquarium. It is not common in the aquarium hobby, especially when it comes to tank-bred specimens!
The Aspidoras Dwarf Catfish is a very peaceful schooling fish that is compatible with most nano aquarium animals that thrive in similar temperatures. It will likely prey on shrimp fry, but is safe with large shrimp and most other peaceful ornamental invertebrates. It is a classic scavenger and will inhabit and feed at the aquarium floor, which should be comprised of sand or smooth gravel. Very coarse substrate can damage its delicate barbels and underbelly, so it should be kept in an aquarium with sand or very smooth gravel substrate. This fish is otherwise undemanding as long as it is provided with stable, clean water and it will accept most dry, frozen, and live foods. It is adaptable to most tropical freshwater conditions as long as standard regular maintenance is performed and sudden changes are avoided.
- Very uncommon in the aquarium hobby
- Very peaceful and hardy addition to the subtropical aquarium
- Compatible with most adult dwarf shrimp and other invertebrates
- Thrives in schools in well-planted aquaria
- Distinctive coloration and group schooling behavior.
- Temperature: 68° - 77° F (20° - 25° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.5. Softer water is preferred, but this fish is somewhat flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided.
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons for a school of 6 or more adults
- Diet: High-quality dry foods as well as live and frozen meaty foods. Variety is essential.
- Social behavior: Peaceful; requires a school of 6 or more to thrive.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but indigenous to Northeastern Brazil
- Average adult size: 1.6 - 1.8 inches (4 - 4.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)