Orange Sunkist Bee Shrimp (Caridina propinqua)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship this shrimp exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This beautiful orange Caridina species is not commonly seen in the hobby!
The Orange Sunkist Bee Shrimp (Caridina propinqua) is a somewhat uncommon dwarf shrimp that is very unique among Caridina species. It is a much different species than the Orange Sakura/Sunkist variety of Neocaridina davidi.
The Orange Sunkist Bee Shrimp is a low form breeder whose fry must be reared in brackish water conditions (salinity of 1.008 is recommended). Its breeding is somewhat similar to the Amano Shrimp (Caridina multidentata). It is believed by many that the Orange Sunkist Shrimp is well suited for lightly brackish conditions even as an adult.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. . The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content.
- Beautiful bright orange coloration
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with most plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Minimum tank size: 5 gallons, recommended 10 gallon minimum for a colony
- Temperature: 72° - 82.4° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.6
- dGH: 6 - 15
- dKH: 3 - 10
- SG: 1.006
- TDS: 180 - 400
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily.
- Aquatic Arts Snowflake Premium Shrimp Food & Aquatic Arts Pollen Granules Premium Shrimp Food are excellent supplements to the diet of any shrimp. Give them a try and your shrimp will thank you for the tasty treat!
- Natural Botanicals are a great way to boost the immune system of your shrimp and they will also provide lots of essential biofilm for the shrimp to graze on.
- Does require brackish water conditions (Kept in a SG of 1.006)
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Borneo
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!